Growing Through DECA

Members Look Forward to 2021

Madison Huckman, 员工 Writer

DECA, a career development club that prepares students for real life, has been a home for many students who consider this the stepping stone to finding their career. Through the exploration of Marketing and finance, and the practice of presentation skills, DECA prepares students for a leadership role in the community.

The organization features programs at both the high school and college level. Focusing on Marketing, Finance, Entrepreneurship, Business Administration and Hospitality and Tourism, students are responsibly active in understanding popular career options.

At Pinkerton, the Deca chapter has striven to make the club fun and interactive. Event planner, Rachel Desena 21’ organized events, including a pumpkin decorating party and a Holiday Hoopla that had members singing along to the holiday classics. 

Abby Gilbert 21’ said “Members found a way to have fun and bond with each other.” While at events members had no problem being  engaged and excited, as they were surrounded 通过 friends and the opportunity to learn or volunteer.

When asked about the club atmosphere Desena said, “You will find nothing but positivity through all of the members and officers.”

Before the coronavirus upended the school year, students worked hard and prepared to compete in the categories of marketing, finance, entrepreneurship, business administration, and hospitality and tourism. The competition takes place at the state and national level where every student takes a written exam and presents their ideas to a judge in a variety of forms including presentation, role plays and projects. The judges are local business leaders, who volunteer their time in support of the organization and preparing youth for the future.

“Competing in my role play event was a little nerve racking as I had to pitch an idea based on a food marketing scenario in front of two judges,”  said Jonathan DiMaggio ‘20. “Fortunately, I was able to get a few practice rounds with state officers and the DECA advisor, Ms. Snair.” 

The most recent state competition was held in Manchester, New Hampshire in February. Conference attendees spent three days meeting members from different chapter members from across New Hampshire, competing, attending workshops and a game of quizbowl. At the end of the conference, members discovered if they earned a spot to compete at the International Career Development Conference (ICDC), 通过 placing in the top three of the event they competed in. 

Emma Johnston, first year DECA member said, “My favorite memory was attending states. I loved hanging out with everyone, and cheering on my friends’ successes.” 

This year’s conference was set to take place in Nashville, Tennessee, during April but was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Looking toward next year, Vice President, Rachel Desena said, “My final goal with Pinkerton Deca is to attend the International conference. I qualified my freshman and junior year but have been unable to attend both years.”

Pinkerton Deca is always looking forward to meeting new members; in the past, members have joined because of an interest in business, making friends, and to enhance public speaking and leadership skills.

Rylee Burke, first year member and event planner for the 2020-2021 school year said, “I wanted to learn more about business and building connections with people when I joined, and I’m so glad that I’ve been able to achieve that.”